18 June 2009

Día 17



The job site seems hectic as we approach closer to the opening show deadline. With the arrival of the long awaited hay bags and tomato crates Richard and I were able to get a lot accomplished. The dome is nearly complete. I have to add some small finishing touches to the backside, which I will do tomorrow.  Richard got the DJ station built and we started to pile tomato crates upon it. With just two weeks we have transformed the patio into an ARCHolage of Bolivian inspired structures. Yolanda was yet again traveling with Julio through the streets of Santa Cruz. She got a lot accomplished today. I have to say without her we would not have anything to build. The combination of her Spanish and quick thinking makes for a good addition to the team. She was able to find a fruit vendor willing to let us rent his fruit cart along with a giant hat for Richard. I am sorry to announce that there will not be robots, but the plan still seems for me to do a fruit cart performance at the opening. Time seems so short with just a week to go. Santa Cruz and its people have really grown on me and I wish we could have more time down here. Stay tuned for more building, more improvisation, and more blogging. 

2 comments:

  1. i think i may have missed something...what was the inspiration behind the robot costumes? even though that didn't work out and holy crap your hair is getting long again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this installation has been dealing a lot with the heavy clash of contemporary and historical/rural methods of living here in Bolivia. For the installation ill be doing a performance piece with a fruit cart, talking about my fruit with this standard robot voice thing that all the vendors use. And while this is going on their will be dj mixing tunes and beats with my voice. So Richard thought we should be robots, but then he thought not

    ReplyDelete