15 June 2009

Día 15


Lunes. For the first day of the week we accomplished quite a bit. Richard and Yolanda went on yet another material search and purchased 150 tomato crates and 30 more bags of hay. While they were riding in taxis and bargaining for supplies I was at the job site. My morning mission: stack 50 bags of hay on top of the dome structure. It proved to be difficult and exhausting. The first stacking method I tried proved to be too weight bearing and the dome structure semi caved in. I replaced the woven supports and added new beams coming from the floor up the roof of the interior structure. Richard liked the look of it so it worked out for the best. I achieved success after going with a more layered brick stacking method, but was hindered by the amount of hay bags I had. Tomorrow we will get the 30 we purchased delivered and I will be able to finish stacking. Richard and Yolanda returned with a chain saw and an avocado the size of a melon. We took a lunch break and I got to hear all about their adventure to a local sculptor’s studio. On Saturday Yolanda and I will be going out there to pay a studio visit and learn more about his work. After lunch Richard gave me a chain saw demo and we cut large logs, assembling them into a roofed area that will contain a fruit stand. The day ended with Richard taken good advantage of my climbing skills and had my scale up the tree to cut down some dead limbs. The day was successful. I got to build all day, which I love, and am now completely exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are using your safety gear! Great sculpture - love the lines.

    ReplyDelete