18 June 2009

Día 18


¡Buenos Días!

A lot of my discussions with the local people often revolve around the food in Santa Cruz. Being that I am a foreigner, many Santa Cruz locals often need to make sure that I have tasted the delights that Santa Cruz has to offer. Accordingly, my taste buds are very grateful for this concern. This image documents the "palta" (Bolivian style avocado- about two/three times the size of what we're used to back in Colorado!) that accompanied my ham/cheese/egg meal today.

Mandarin oranges are everywhere- mmmmmmmmm! On our material search yesterday, Julio and I stopped to talk to a fruit man named Emilio. He walks around the city with his fruit cart full of oranges, mandarin oranges, japanese mandarines, bananas, papaya, apples, pineapple to name a few. Emilio has agreed to let us rent his cart full of fruit for Richard's installation. Our first encounter with the fruit cart was not the site of vibrant colors, but with a robotic voice we heard from a distance announcing the fruits available through a scratchy speaker. Behind the fruit cart, I caught a flash of a micro (bus) that circles around the city. The micros have such character in their paint jobs and the bumper stickers that adorn them.


We had a bit of excitement on the job site today. Jon and I have agreed on a title for the side exhibition we are going to host at the artist residency during the exhibition at Kiosko: "Crucemos La Calle" ("we cross the street" or "let's cross the street"). Also, the building process for the "hay-dome" and "tomato crate" structures is nearing the end. The next considerations for the installation will deal with lighting along with adding color, possibly through orange and blue tarps. Update on the robot costume: the search has been replaced with a hunt for a broken/cheap/abandoned moped. My previous thought still holds that never in my life would I have imagined I'd be in Bolivia, driving around the city of Santa Cruz, seeking out a moped.

No comments:

Post a Comment